Selection of Strategies and Target Populations
Between January and June 2012, the Mayor’s staff visited best practice cities, interviewed national experts, met with over 90 local housing and services providers, and conducted interviews and focus groups with homeless citizens. The Unsheltered No More team partnered with local universities to analyze existing local homeless population needs and gaps in housing and services.
In April 2012, Mayor Reed hosted a series of Community Conversations with over 80 leaders from the faith, business, philanthropic, government, and non-profit sectors to generate and discuss ideas for addressing homelessness. These sessions directly informed the selection of Unsheltered No More‘s strategies and target populations.
Building Strategies for Success
- May 15-August 23, 2012: Veterans Initiative kicks off with the 100-Day Challenge
- November-December 2012: Pilot project to test registry methodology and strategies for rehousing chronically and episodically homeless citizens
- January 2013: Atlanta Homeless Registry (Jan. 18-19, 2013)
- February 2013: Chronic and Episodic initiatives launch and community partners begin housing people from the Registry using a coordinated community process
- March 9-June 17, 2013: Chronic & Veterans 100-Day Challenge
Mayor Reed welcomes participants at the kickoff Community Conversation in April 2012. Mayor Reed’s welcome is followed by an address by national poverty expert, Donna Beegle.